We all long for “good hair days”, but sometimes they seem impossible or too much work to achieve. If your hair seems unruly and running a comb through it makes you want to break down in tears, it’s time to switch up that hair care plan of yours and find products that work for you and not against you….
First of all I was blessed with a full head of hair, secondly it’s probably taken all of 27 years to find a hair care routine that works for me and not against me. I remember being in high school, when straighteners were a luxury and not a necessity, so we used a clothing iron and a cooking mitt to create a more sleek look. I would like to apologize to my hair for everything I have put you through😭. Secondly I love cool ashy blonde/silver hair, which is probably one of the hardest colours on your hair because of the bleaching process and the maintenance is higher, but I just do not suit being a brunette, so I’ve had to be very particular with my hair care routine and the health of my hair.
Here is some hair tips for those luscious locks of yours:
1) Find a hair dresser that you can trust, but also one that does not drain your wallet. Lucky me I found my fabulous hair stylist while cheerleading for our CFL team. She did our hair for game days and events and I have not let her go since! I come in to the salon probably not ever making much sense in what I want but she always seems to create the exact colour that I desire….She also doesn’t charge $250 for a colour and blowout like other places do…. (which is honestly insane).
2) Don’t cheap out on your shampoos and conditioners and DO NOT use 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner and expect anything good to come out of it.
Honestly I feel this is a crucial step in your hair care routine and a good shampoo and conditioner can make a world of a difference. You will notice the texture difference between a drug store brand conditioner and a salon quality conditioner alone… Drug store brand is usually runnier while the salon brand will have a nice thick texture, that seems to give your hair the much needed moisture that it deserves. Also purchase a shampoo/conditioner for your hair type. I would use a colour treated conditioner or one for dry unmanageable hair…. Also because I am blonde a great purple shampoo is a must. If you want to keep the integrity of your fresh, non brassy blonde, you will need to invest in a GOOD purple shampoo and/or conditioner (even though the shampoo alone works well for me). I have two favourite purple shampoo products. One is from the Redken men’s line: Redken Silver Shampoo. It smells like hot guy and truly makes your hair a beautiful silver, ashy blonde colour with lots of shine. You can find it at Chatters Hair Salon if they aren’t sold out! My second favourite is Blonde Brilliance. This one smells like candy and also really gets rid of the brassy tones in your hair. It can be found at Sally Beauty for a great price. Other shampoo and conditioners that I have tried and loved and are not a purple shampoo are: Kenra (both their shampoo and conditioner seem to put moisture back into the hair and bring it back to life). Chi Royal Treatment Shampoo This product is a real treat to use. Smells awesome, restores moisture and leaves your hair with a silky finish.
3) Do a deep conditioning treatment once a week.
This was a game changer in my hair care routine!!! Our weather in Winnipeg is so darn cold and it takes quite the toll on our locks…. I think everyone can use a good deep conditioning treatment and yes this is different than using your regular conditioner. It will make your hair manageable, soft again, moisturized, shiny and less breakable. You can keep it in your hair for thirty minutes if you want! Wrap it in a towel, then wash it out after thirty minutes is up. My ABSOLUTE favourite deep conditioning treatment is Joico Kpack Colour Therapy Luster Lock. Honestly I haven’t came across anything like it before. It literally strengthens your hair so it won’t break and keeps it protected and nourished from our weather/ hair tools and other elements that can be detrimental to our hair. Trust me it’s A-M-A-Z-I-N-G….. I’m getting giddy just thinking about it.
4) Invest in a wet brush!!!!!! I honestly wish these existed when I was a kid. I remember the torture that took place after bath time with my mom trying to get a brush through my hair. If you are a parent reading this get one for your little girl as well…. they will love you for it. The nice thing is you can find these brushes for like $7 at Winners, so completely worth it. They make the ease of detangling your hair blissful. I do not hear my hair snapping anymore during each brush stroke. Less breakage= longer, healthier looking hair!! Wet brush They also come in super cute colours and are small enough to shove in your purse!
5) Leave in conditioner after every bath or shower.
Do you like to purposely torture yourself? If you said no or want to learn how to not torture yourself get a good quality leave in conditioner. They have really stepped their game up with leave in conditioners and my head couldn’t be happier. I found one specifically that I’m addicted to (and have gotten others addicted to) not only because of the smell (absolutely bliss in a bottle) but combing through my hair while it’s wet is now effortless…. I’m not even over exaggerating. Thank you CHI Haircare for making life so much easier with CHI Keratin Leave In Conditioner Spray.
6) Discover Hair Oil- Dry, damaged, dull hair getting you down? Trying to tame those “flyways” can be a pain in the butt. The winter time your hair usually needs a little extra love and moisture from the damaging crisp air. I always put a drop of my Sei Bella argon oil in my hair before drying it with a blow dryer. You literally only need a drop the size of a dime in your hand to achieve the positive results that you are looking for. Best part is it also acts as a heat protector to save your hair from your hot tools!!! This product can only be found online at the http://www.melaleuca.com website.
7) Did you know that back combing your hair a little at the root can help your hair remain less greasy longer? Who has the time and energy to wash and style your hair every single day?! Way too much energy and really bad for your hair… I try to wash my hair maximum 2 times a week. How do I achieve this without my hair getting greasy or looking flat? I actually back comb it a bit at the root and add some hair spray. It works so well! Your hair isn’t sitting on the top of your sweaty head so it stays fresh longer. One of my favourite hairsprays that I use is: CHI Magnified Hairspray. I hate harsh smelling hairsprays that give you a headache, so this one is nice and subtle. It holds all day and is humidity resistant. I love that it adds extra volume to my hair while keeping my hair looking fresh for longer.
Here is some extra tips that I do to keep my hair looking and feeling it’s best:
- Try only washing it twice a week (dry shampoo doesn’t count and it actually works awesome and helps stretch your time between washes)
- Rinse your hair with cold water. Washing it with warm is fine to help get all of the product out of your hair etc. If you can suck it up and run it through some cold water before you get out of the shower you will help close the cuticles, resulting in shinier healthy hair.
- Take fish oil supplements. A good quality fish oil supplement can do wonders for your hair, skin and nails leaving you with a more youthful looking appearance.
- Get a blow dryer with the option of a “cool” air setting. When you are close to finishing drying your hair use the cold setting to help achieve shiny, healthier hair.
- Take a break from your hot tools. I will randomly do a week or so here and there without blowdrying or straightening my hair just to give it a break and to keep the integrity of my hair. Try scrunching your hair with product or throw it in a ponytail. Yes it won’t look as good but hair oil and some leave in conditioner can help you get through your little break.
- Get your partner to massage your scalp. It not only feels glorious but it increases circulation, which helps promote hair growth.
Well I hope this helps you with your hair care routine! It’s made life so much easier with managing my long, colour treated hair. If you have any questions feel free to message me! If you don’t want to miss out on any other tips and tricks that I have up my sleeve click the follow button on my page and you will get an email whenever I create a blog post:)